Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Day 3: A place or thing that you're in love with (choose one)

If I could pick just one place that I love, I would say Kota Kinabalu Sabah. Why? What is not to love about KK? Almost everyone who has been there that I know has every positive thing to say about KK. My favourite remark about the land below the wind is by a colleague of mine, who is from West Malaysia and is already planning to make KK his retirement location. He said, "I truly believe that God has blessed that land. You get everything in KK. You turn to your right, you'll see the magnificent mountain. You turn to your left, you see the most beautiful islands and beaches."

I can't help but feel proud everytime I hear remarks about KK. I am a Sabahan, but I was not born in KK. I was born in Labuan, a small island that was used to be under the Sabah constitution. Labuan became a Federal Territory in 1985. I was born in 1984 when Labuan was still in Sabah. So technically, I am a Sabahan.

My father's family migrated to KK and have resided there for 30-40 years. So everytime I need to "balik kampung" to visit relatives, I would go to KK instead of Labuan.

Other than its nature attraction, KK has a lot more to offer. Its shopping experience is one of the best, commonly dubbed as "mini KL". Which, I find, is more conducive than the crowded KL. You can find leading fashion brands in KK minus the crowded packed atmosphere of KL.

Of course, love for a place only exist if the place holds good memories. Admit it, one of the best experience we've ever had is our childhood. In this case, my childhood did revolve around KK, because half of my family were living there.

So, the next time you go to KK, be prepared to be awestrucked.

No comments:

Post a Comment